Thursday, January 3, 2013

Chris' Ice Cream...& Tacos?

Chris' Ice Cream - Nora (82nd /Monon Trail)

Recently, while trolling Twitter, I had a friend tell me about a place in Nora that I absolutely had to try.  According to my friend, this place has amazing and inexpensive tacos that give other area restaurants a run for their money.  Now what if I told you that the restaurant was "technically" a homemade ice cream shop?  Weird, right?  The exact same thing I thought...but then the very next thing I felt was intrigue.


Chris' Ice Cream, an amazingly-cheap eatery on the North Side, is right in the heart of Nora (82nd Street) just off the Monon Trail.  It's really easy to find, except you just wouldn't anticipate an ice cream store to have tacos and other genuine Spanish Cuisine.  I was able to visit Wednesday (Jan. 2nd) during my lunch break from work, and it was definitely worth a little farther drive from where I might visit for lunch.  I was very glad to have made the trip.

Walking into Chris' Ice Cream, it didn't feel like much of an "Ice Cream" shop or "Mexican" restaurant, but as if the two had a strange love-child.  One side of the restaurant is completely for their homemade ice cream, and it's the first thing you see when you walk in.  Do not be fooled, if its food you seek, just go to the right side of the counter, and find the food menu posted on the wall. They've got tacos (beef, chicken, and pork), sopes (tortillas, meat, cheese, sour cream, lettuce), and even a Cuban sandwich that looks amazing.  All food is affordable, and only takes around 5 minutes to prepare.

Beef and Chicken Tacos
I talked to Jaime, owner and operator, who is actually from El Salvador.  He told me the idea came shortly after opening up the ice cream shop around 5 years ago.  The decision to make Spanish cuisine, and his recipes, came from the way that his Grandfather cooked when he was growing up.  Rather than tossing everything on the grill, Jaime cuts up the meats, marinates it, and cooks it on the grill with a bunch of cilantro and onion for a superior flavor.  These tacos are not your normal tacos; they're much, much better.  The meat is succulent, the spicing is perfection, and the additive of lime and verde sauce add a kick that other restaurants just can't come close to touching.  I smashed three tacos, and can't wait for my return trip.

If you get a moment, you definitely need to check this place out.  It's worth a trip for a lunch break or a quick stop in for dinner.  You can find more information on Chris' Ice Cream on Yelp!, or just stop by their location at 1405 E. 82nd St, Indianapolis, IN 46240.

Embrace the unexpected, and as always, Eat On.

--Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment