Thursday, April 4, 2013

Getting to Know @Mealightenment [Newbie]: Joe

If anyone is curious, I am the large one in the back.
Howdy, everyone! My name is +Joe Reese and I am (one of) the newbies to the blog. I work with Justin and Jacob, and that is how I got tabbed to be a part of the blog. I guess it should go without saying, but my enjoyment of food and cooking in general gave us something to talk about right off when I started getting to know the guys. Since high school, I've had several jobs in the food industry. I started out as a bus boy/dishwasher at a small restaurant on the east side of Indianapolis. I've also worked in a couple different chain restaurants in just about every position you can think of, until my job change about a year and a half ago.  I wasn't too sure what to write about for my intro post, so I decided to steal the questions I liked from the other "Getting to Know" posts. And without further ado, here we go!


What's the best meal you've had for a hangover cure?
JR: This goes back to my days going to school in Terre Haute. There was this little Chinese place next to the Kroger on Wabash Ave (one of the main streets in the Haute) called First Wok. Best Chinese food I've ever had. I always got the General Tso's chicken, extra spicy. And, if I remember correctly, it was only $4.19 or so after tax for the lunch special, so it was definitely affordable.

If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
JR: It would be rice with soy sauce. Preferably toyomansi (a Filippino soy sauce mixed with calamansi lemons), but any old soy sauce would do - as long as it isn't low sodium.  Much to the chagrin of my fiancee,  that is one thing in my diet I'm not willing to make a concession on to be healthier.
I will post my eggroll recipe soon(ish).

What's the one thing you would never eat?
JR: Raw onions. I know it's weird. I'm down to try anything, but I know for a fact I do not and will not ever like raw onion.

Have you ever been smacked in the face by a meal?
JR: Nope. However, I have always wanted to be hit in the face by a pie like the Three Stooges.

When you were first asked to join the Mealightenment team, what was your first thought?
JR: My first thought was, "Wow, that does sound like a lot of fun, but I hope I can keep up and not let the team or the readers down." I've definitely wanted to get into writing, but starting my own blog was an intimidating idea. I'm excited to join the team and I can't wait to see the blog grow and expand and to be able to be a part of it.
I take pictures of my food. So what?

Anything else you'd like to add (I made this question up)?
JR: Well, thank you for asking! Aside from being a wannabe foodie, I am a huge fan of Doctor Who, a former World of Warcraft nerd, and a Star Wars geek. I wear the nerd/geek badge with pride! I'm also a homer for the Pacers, Colts, IU, and Butler. Hit me up in the comments if you ever want to hear my opinion on anything.


Thanks for reading! Keep calm and Eat On!


No comments:

Post a Comment